Thursday, December 15, 2011

An End in Iraq

I knew the end was coming soon to our time in Iraq, but as I was reading the news this morning, it shocked me to know that our troops were done with our mission there.  I don't know about you, but I've had mixed emotions today about it - happy to be out, anxious of what may happen in the future and hopeful that they sacrifices made there will be known and remembered.

I never served there.  I never touched the soil or looked into a face of an Iraqi.  But Joel did.  And because of him, I feel somewhat invested in Iraq. 

I hope that as our troops come home, that we would remember their sacrifice to a country that is not theirs and that we would continue to be prayerful for the people of Iraq.

Well done, USA.  And welcome home.

1 comment:

Shari@Rain into Rainbows said...

Well written. I think it's difficult for many military families to just accept the end of the Iraq War at face value.

And for many of our younger troops & their families, this whole war/deployment cycle is all they've ever known of the military. It's gonna be a whole new ballgame....