Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hope & Comfort


I've written before about Jessica at {Mis}Adventures of a Lifetime.  She inspired me about a year ago to take the jump into blogging and over the last few months has gone through a lot of personal struggles.

I've really appreciated her honesty during this deeply personal time and her willingness to open her life to the blogging world.  Jessica's been on my heart these past few months, and often comes to mind.  Although I've never met her, I pray for her often - specifically that she would find God's purpose in all that's happened recently.

Last week she wrote a beautiful post about her struggle with depression and her journey through it.  I have struggled with depression some while I was in college and I know it can be a very dark time, especially when you only look within yourself.  Jessica's perspective through this is refreshing and I'm encouraged to see where God is taking her.

One of my favorite passages in Scripture is in 2 Corinthians 1:3-7.  It says:

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.  For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.  If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings we suffer.  Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort." 

What an awesome promise.  We can find purpose in our suffering, because God promises that we can someday comfort others who may be going through similar heartache.  Time and time again, God has given me opportunity to share about my own struggles so that I can not only comfort those who are hurting, but offer some kind of hope.  We will be buried in self-pity while in our own struggle if we don't believe there's purpose sometime in the future.



1 comment:

Emmy said...

Yes as horrible and as dark as things were a few years back for me I would never take them back as it has helped me understand the atonement at a level I never would have other wise- and I would like to think it has made me a whole lots less judgmental in life as you never know what others are going through.