Sunday, June 12, 2011

Bible in 90 Days: Week 6 Schedule


I have to say that this week has been a great week of reading. We've read through the majority of Kings and Chronicles... books that are full of dates, history and names.  I felt overwhelmed two weeks ago when we started I Kings, but instead of trying to remember all of the details, I've tried to focus on the bigger picture:  who are the kings, what God did they serve and what was God's purpose for them?

I've noticed that the kings' success was reliant on God's influence in their lives.  When they tried to do things on their own, apart from God, their Kingdom fell apart.  When the king tore apart centralized worship, their Kingdom was doomed.  When pride got in their way, and their focus feel away from God, God pulled His blessings and protection from them and their people. 

Our pastor today, preached on wisdom.  It struck a cord in me because for the past year I have been praying constantly for God's wisdom in my life.  A passage that has been close to my heart has been James 1:5-6.  It says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.  But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of sea that is driven and tossed by the wind."  This promise is incredible because God promises an abundance of wisdom if we ask and seek Him with complete faith.

I loved reading about Solomon and how God blessed him because he asked for wisdom instead of prosperity.  God prospered Solomon because of this - in both wealth and wisdom.  Kings from other nations went to Solomon for advice!  He was the wisest man (besides Christ) who ever lived and it is because He sought God and sought God's wisdom.

In reading through the stories of the kings, I see that they continued to seek poor counsel, poor advice and poor wisdom.  They often looked toward false gods and idols or asked wicked men for counsel.  It's because of their lack of wisdom and their unwillingness to seek the One who is wise, that their kingdom's failed.

God again and again cries out to His people.  He wants to be their God.  Their only God.  God is yearning for them to know Him.  It seems that throughout all that we've read, God is constantly pleading, let me guide you, let me teach you, let me protect you, let me provide for you, let me lead you, let me love you... let me be sufficient for you.  He is hungry for their worship and acknowledgement of who He is and He wants the best for them.  But Israel continues to turn their back on the One who has always provided and loved  them the most.

How many times do we turn on God when pride gets in the way?  How often do we seek the counsel of the unwise, when God offers us supernatural wisdom?  How often do we forget to thank Him for all that He has done for us?

Here is this week's schedule:

Day 34, Monday June 13th
2 Chronicles 35:16 - Ezra 10:44

Day 35, Tuesday, June 14th
Nehemiah 1:1 - 13:14

Day 36, Wednesday June 15th
Nehemiah 13:15 - Job 7:21

Day 37, Thursday June 16th
Job 8:1 - 24:25

Day 38, Friday  June 17th
Job 25:1 - 41:34

Day 39,Saturday June 18th
Job 42:1 - Psalm 24:10

Day 40, Sunday June 19th
Psalms 25:1 - 45:14

Have a wonderful week!  Please feel free to share what you've been learning through your reading.

1 comment:

Karla said...

I am a couple of days behind you, but one thing that I have noticed is how much ink is given to David and his story. Since God is the Logos, each word is meaningful and intentional....I love knowing that every word written about David is significant....and I know there are millions of cool connections to Christ, being from David's line. I also really liked when David offered sacrifices to stop the plague that God sent upon the people because of his sin...the place, not only of judgment, but also the place where mercy began. Wow. When David expressed his praise in at the end of 1 Chronicles, I wanted to weep at the depth of his love for his God....and I am more than excited to camp out in Psalms....

Ok, I think I might go read some more.... :)