Monday, April 18, 2011

Support for a fellow MilSpouse

Last June, I started playing around with the idea of starting a blog journaling my life as a military wife and momma.  The very first milspouse blog I happened across was Jessica's at {Mis}Adventures of an Army Wife.  Her posts are always so honest, refreshing, straightforward and funny.  She's encouraged me with her positive attitude and real perspective on all that's good, bad and ugly as a military spouse.

Last Monday, Jessica posted a final farewell to the blog world.  She was depressed, lonely and feeling completely shattered by a life that suddenly seemed to crumble around her.  It's really best that you read her post here to understand all of her hurt and pain.  She was at the end of her rope and feeling that she couldn't go on anymore.

Thank God, her suicide attempt failed.  Her mother posted a note on Saturday from Jessica - she's in the hospital and getting the help she needs.  Her parents posted a comment on that note, asking the blogger community to come out and support her.  Here is what they said:

"To all the wonderful people who responded to Jessica on her "Misadventures of an Army WIfe" blog,


Tom and I want to thank all of you for the kind words you have posted on Jessica's blog. Jessica is currently in the hospital for an unknown lenght of stay and will require continued therapy afterwards. I was able to vist with her for about 1 1/2 hours on Thursday, 14 April, and she is starting to realize her actions last week as well as the events that led to her depression and suicide attempt. I did print out all your comments from her blog and was able to give her a hardcopy.

One of Jessica's friends had a great idea that Tom and I are following up on....an Easter Basket filled with notes and cards of encouragement, empathy, stories, understanding or good 'ole humor! If we could be so bold to the virtual community, we would like to ask you to send your thoughts, notes, cards, etc. to the P.O. Box below that we have now estabished:


Jessica
P.O. Box 292138
Columbia, SC 29229


I will gather them into an Easter Basket of Cheer for Jessica this week to continue to let her know she is not alone nor are the events she experienced isolated to just her.


Please do not send gifts or money....just your words of encouragement and prayers.


Please let the our request spread.....


Thanks again to all you,
-- From the parents of Jessica....Tom in NM and now Sue in SC"

I've learned time and time again, that we have a great milspouse blogger community!  When Joel was overseas, I was overwhelmed by the amount of love, support and encouragement I received by a group of milspouses who really understand all the ups and downs that I felt and experienced.  Right now, we have an amazing opportunity, to surround Jessica with love and prayers.  Please consider sending her a note to let her know that she's valued, understood and loved.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I also love her blog and I stopped in to read it yesterday and was shocked by what I read. At first I thought it was a joke but as I kept reading I realized it wasn't. I have been thinking about her a lot and am so sad that her husband did that to her. I hope a lot of people send her some encouragement and give her support. I am so glad she didn't succeed at her attempt.

Emmy said...

Oh wow. Definitely going to go check out her blog. So glad she is getting the help she needs now