Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Proud Momma

My girls thrill me.  Seriously, they give me so much joy and some days their hugs and kisses get me through.

Being a mother is hard.  It zaps so much energy from you.  Some nights, I can hardly walk up the stairs to go to bed.  Some mornings, I just want to pull the covers over my head and plug my ears.  But my two sweet girls need me for everything right now.  And honestly, it's a joy to be their everything.

We are, without apology, a Christian family.  Joel and my faith is at the center of who we are as individuals, who we are as a couple and it shapes the decisions we make for our family.  We go to church, teach Sunday School, read the Bible and live our life as best we can according to how we believe God would want us to.  That's not to say, we're perfect.  Believe me, we're not!

One of the most important jobs as Christian parents, is to provide opportunities for our children to learn about God - whether it's on Sunday at church, through other Christian activities or by simply talking about our faith with our kids.  We work hard to equip Grace and Autumn to make good decisions and to someday decide what they believe for themselves.

Grace has been asking a lot of questions lately about who Jesus is and what he did while he was here some 2,000 years ago.  We've had some really great conversations about him and what his life on earth means for us today.  Last night at dinner, Grace asked me what sin was, so we talked about it some.  She told me that sometimes she sins - whether it's by being selfish, being mean to a friend or lying to me.  I told her that Jesus came to earth to die, so that our sins could be taken away - but that we need to at some point, come to a place where we admit that we sin and that he is the only one who can take them away for us.

She had some other questions and I told her that it was an important decision and that she could continue to ask me any questions she wanted, but ultimately it was something for her to decide.  I went in the kitchen to get some more dinner and I heard her praying at the kitchen table.  The conversation from that point went something like this:
Me:  Grace, what are you doing?
Grace:  I'm praying to God.
Me:  What are you saying?
Grace:  I told Him I'm sorry for doing bad things.  I want Jesus to take away my sins.
Me:  (kinda stuttering around at this point)  Um, wow.  That's great.  Is it ok if I pray with you?
Grace:  Ok.  What do you wanna say?
Me:  Well, I just want to sit with you while you pray to God.  Is that ok?
Grace:  Yeah, will you help me?
Me:  I'd love to!

So, I sat next to her and held her hand and she prayed that Jesus would take away her sins and come into her life. 

Yes, she's four.  I realize that's young.  I was four when I sat with my Awana leader some 25+ years ago and said a similar prayer.  I still remember it very clearly and that moment helped to form who I am today.

It was a very sweet moment.  She was very excited afterward.  I can't wait to walk beside her and be a part of her growing faith.  Although just a child, it's beautiful that she has an understanding that there's a God out there who loves her through the good and bad of life.  Right now is a not-so-fun part of life, but she asks God every day to be with her and to take care of her daddy.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."  John 3:16

"And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them.  But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the Kingdom of God.  Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."  And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them."  Mark 10:13-16

6 comments:

Karla said...

Thank you for sharing this sweet joy! Learning to love Jesus, walk with Him, and live a life that pleases Him brings such blessing! I'm glad for the decision Grace made!

Amy said...

Aww!! This is a great story!! She is so sweet and wise beyond her years! :) How very exciting for you and your family!

Spurgeon said...

Powerful

Unknown said...

I love it!! Yay!!! You've done and are doing a great job, Jill - your 4 year old understands her need for Jesus. If you don't do anything else for her for the rest of her life, it wouldn't matter because you have already been a part of her wonderful eternal life with Jesus. That's awesome! Praise Jesus! :)

Emmy said...

I think kids often are so much better at adults at accepting and truly understanding. And yes, you should be proud.

Unknown said...

Jill that is the most awesome news ever, we are praising God with you.
Both of my girls were 4 (and almost 4) when they asked Jesus into their lives and they continue to walk with Him today. Thank you so much for sharing this.