Thursday, August 5, 2010

Missed Calls

I broke two of the most important deployment rules.  I turned off the ringer on the home phone, and I kept my cell phone buried in the diaper bag.  I missed three calls yesterday from Joel.  So, for the last 18-hours, I've been checking my email constantly and walking around the house with the phone right next to me, just in case.

I've done this before, and it still feels awful.  I always get an extreme amount of guilt when I miss his calls.  But three calls equates to triple the guilt.  I've emailed him apologizing a few times.

I have no idea when he'll get to the phone next or when he'll have access to a computer.  So, right now, I'm just sitting here feeling really guilty.

6 comments:

ABW said...

I know it's hard, but don't beat yourself up! I would feel sad that I missed his call, but I knew he would call again, and he knew that life is so chaotic sometimes. Hang in there!

Spurgeon said...

I can tell you it's a bummer when no one answers but, good news is someone will answer next time. I'm sure he is just looking forward to that rather than dwelling on the fact you did not answer his previous calls. So don't dwell on the mishap just think of how great it's going to be to talk to him soon!

BTW I keep telling Jennifer to hit you up on FB to get together with the kids, she forgets all the time. So hopefully soon

Emmy said...

So sorry :(. I hate missing regular calls, I can't even imagine.

Jill said...

He called earlier tonight and it was so good to hear from him. He was kinda annoyed that I never seem to answer my cell phone, considering how much money it costs... but CSPURGEON, you're right. He just wanted to connect and that's all that mattered to either of us.

I have a guilt complex.

Lindsey said...

Have you tried to ask him to make you a weekly schedule of when he predicts he can call? That way, if he gets to, you will be ready for it. I know the schedule would be hard for him to make, but its worth a try so you dont feel so bad when you miss them!

Jill said...

Lindsey - That's a great idea. Thanks. Right now it's been so hard to keep track of when he has a day off, so a schedule would be good for both of us!