Sunday, May 29, 2011

Bible in 90 Days: Week 4 Schedule


Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua and Judges are all behind us.  There were some muddy parts - those areas that seem tedious and are kinda hard to get through... all the names, numbers and details that bog me down.  When I started this, I knew that the Old Testament was going to be hard.  All the details can lead me to confusion and I knew that since we were reading through some tricky areas so quickly that I would have a hard time retaining some very important details.  But I keep praying that God would help me to stay focused and open my heart and eyes to those things I've never noticed before and allow me to understand some areas of Scripture that are just plain hard.

One thing that really stuck out to me during this week's reading was how many times a passage started out "and Israel did what was evil in the sight of the Lord."  Again and again they turned their back on God - worshipping false gods and idols and forgetting the laws that God had put in place for His people.  God had moments of compassion, confusion, hurt and anger toward Israel and continued to remind them of where He brought them from and all that He did for them to rescue them from slavery and oppression.

I was reminded of how God demands holiness from us and reverence in our worship.  I'm often way too casual with my relationship with God.  Although I feel close to Him and feel that my relationship with Him continues to grow in width and depth, I often come before Him with a lack of understanding for the holiness He demands from me.  From us.  When did it happen that we stopped revering God and became buddies with Him?

So, although I was slowed down this week by details, I came away realizing how I need to keep God's need for holiness at the forefront of my prayer, worship, study and daily walk.  He is my God, who is righteous, mighty, holy, just and true and He deserves my humble heart and mind.

Here is this week's schedule:

Day 20, Monday, May 30th
I Samuel 2:30 - I Samuel 15:35

Day 21, Tuesday, May 31st
I Samuel 16:1 - I Samuel 28:19

Day 22, Wednesday, June 1st
I Samuel 28:20 - 2 Samuel 12:10

Day 23, Thursday, June 2nd
2 Samuel 12:11 - 2 Samuel 22:18

Day 24, Friday, June 3rd
2 Samuel 22:19 - I Kings 7:37

Day 25, Saturday, June 4th
1 Kings 7:38 - 1 Kings 16:20

Day 26, Sunday, June 5th
1 Kings 16:21 - 2 Kings 4:37

1 comment:

Emmy said...

Yes- sometimes you think-just get it right and figured out people :)