Thursday, January 24, 2013

Proud Mommy Moments: Autumn's Reflection

If you've been following for a while or know me personally, you know I've had my share of struggles with body image.  If you don't know the story, here's a post I wrote about my struggles with control, anxiety and purging.

As a mom to two girls, I know that I have a major role in how they see themselves and how they see themselves in light of what God created them for and to do.  Grace and I have had many talks about true beauty and how God created her perfectly (Psalm 139:13-18).  The world has already taught her about calories, health, exercise and the "fear of fat".  Autumn is just now paying attention to her reflection in the mirror.

Something I've tried to teach my girls, is to speak Truth to themselves.  One way I have done this, is to ask them to say "perfect" when they see themselves in the mirror.  Just a small way of reminding themselves that God has made them perfectly.  I do it too - not because I think I'm gorgeous, but because in God's eyes, He has made me perfect.

This week, while Autumn and I were having a super fun hang-out session reading books in my bed, she slid off the bed and went to the long mirror I have in my closet.  She looked at herself in the mirror for a few moments, smiled and pointed to her belly and said "Autumn.  Perfect".  It made my heart smile and I'm sure God's did, too.

Remember, whatever you're struggling with, however you see yourself, God has created you in His image.  He has known you from the beginning of time, and knit you together perfectly in your mother's womb!  We have a great God who loves us more than we could ever measure or imagine!





3 comments:

Emmy said...

Love love this! And what a great thing to teach them to say when they see themselves in the mirror. Seriously so awesome.
Thanks so much for linking up!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Jill! Good for you for teaching your daughters to embrace themselves and their bodies as they are, we have such a materialistic society that treats women's bodies like they are shameful, and it is very easy to fall into that. I hope more moms take a page out of your book and teach their daughters that they are already perfect!

~Paula

Amy said...

I love it! I'm going to do that! :) And what a good mommy you are for teaching them such truths!!